I have a little cocktail and food pairing for you today for the fall and winter. I am always looking for ways to pair intentional food bites or dishes to my drinks and vice versa. This combination of a citrusy Brandy Crusta and caramelized sweet potato toasts is a good one for serving up at the winter time and holidays using flavors from in-season ingredients with a classic brandy cocktail. I used Argonaut Brandy’s Fat Thumb which is bright with stone fruit flavors while having deeper caramel and baking spice notes that gives it lots of possibilities for pairing.
The Brandy Crusta is an impressive (that glistening sugar rim! that lemon peel!), but is still an easier cocktail to shake up with no infusions or too many ingredients.
Serve up these Brandy Crustas along side these Brown Butter Sweet Potato Pomegranate Toasts with goat cheese, for the perfect way to start a holiday meal with loved ones or bring with you to contribute at a party. Get the recipe for the Brandy Crusta here.
WHY THIS PAIRING WORKS
Everyone has a different palette & food experiences, but here is why these work paired together for me.
- Roasted sweet potato goes well with the caramelized, rich notes from Fat Thumb that has some of the oldest aged brandy stocks in California blended in brown butter plays off the pomegranate & acidity from the cocktail while enchanting the nutmeg & baked apple notes in the brandy
- lemon and orange liqueur cuts through the rich butter, goat cheese and caramelized sweet potato
- the pop of pomegranate seeds enhances the maraschino cherry liqueur & dried stone fruit notes in the brandy
What cocktail and food pairings have you enjoyed?Print
I am always looking for ways to pair intentional food bites or dishes to my drinks and vice versa. This combination of a citrusy Brandy Crusta and caramelized sweet potato toasts is a good one for serving up at the winter time and holidays using flavors from in-season ingredients with a classic brandy cocktail.
- 4 sweet potatoes, washed and peeled
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 4 tbsp butter, browned
- 1 bunch sage, fried
- pomegranate seeds
- 4–6 oz goat cheese
- 1 baguettes, sliced
- salt, pepper
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Wash and peel sweet potatoes. chop into 1/2 inch cubes.
- Coat sweet potatoes in 1-2 tbsp oil. Add nutmeg. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Add foil or parchment paper to a baking sheet.
- Add sweet potatoes to the pan.
- Roast sweet potatoes for about 20 minutes.
- While potatoes roast, toast sliced baguette in pan with oil.
- Add butter to a pan on medium low and melt. Stir butter occasionally until brown bits begin to form in the bottom of the pan. Be careful not to burn.
- In a pan with oil, add sage leaves add fry 2-3 minutes.
- Add sweet potatoes to each toast. Top with pomegranate seeds, crumbled goat cheese & fried sage.
- Drizzle with browned butter and sprinkle with more salt & pepper, I like Aleppo pepper flakes for some heat